Pages

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Loved, and were loved, and now we lie/ In Flanders fields.

I don't quite know what to say about Remembrance Day. It's a day of silence, reflection, respect and honour. My grandfather on my dad's side was in the Merchant Marines and the Legion was a huge part of his life - every Friday and Saturday was spent there. My mom's side lost everything in the war - their family, their homes and part of their souls. I remember my aunt Fanya showing me the numbers tattooed on her arm, and I remember her scaring me when she told me that I could never forget. I have several very dear friends who are in the army currently, one of whom has been on several tours of Afghanistan and I fully admit that even though we've lost touch I'm terrified every time I hear of another soldier dieing.

I don't care if you support the war, but you support the people who fought/fight/will fight/died in and lived through it.

These people are the heroes. They deserve our respect.

No comments: