Pages

Monday, April 23, 2012

Discount Armageddon

There are mice. Talking. Religious. Mice.

That is all.

Ok, that is not all. Fine. I picked this up because I love Rosemary and Rue as a series.  I dig this book because there are no vampires, werewolves (ok, yet) there is only science. Who doesn't have a secret obsession with cryptozoology? Ok. Maybe obsession is exaggerating. But really, it's a different take on the "traditional" urban fantasy stance - the Boogyman is real, and it's sexist to think that Boogymen are only men.

This book was a lot of fun - McGuire is always great for a laugh. I like how she explains cryptids, and gives a back story for those who aren't as familiar with the less-common mythical creatures. The book felt similar to early Supernatural episodes - there's a whole other world, full of everything that that goes bump in the night, and you were raised by a crazy family who set death traps to make you late to dinner so they could get the last piece of pie. Ok. I made up that part about the pie, but at my house getting the last piece of pie was a big deal.

There are also Mice. Aeslin mice. They're awesome - arguably the best part of the book. Hail. I may have loved them because I just read the Bloggess' Lets Pretend This Never Happened. I kind of picture them in real life, living in her house and it is practically magical. They live with Verity in her tiny sublet apartment and they had me actually laughing out loud. They worship her, and throw festivals to celebrate everything and that's just awesome.

In all honesty, I didn't love this book as much as I love her Rosemary and Rue series. I think as a series it has a lot of potential. I'm iffy on her being a ballroom dancer, but props for moving away from the more 'norm' UF career paths. And for a vampire not being a central character. Yet (?).

No comments: